Summers in Florida can be quite the punishment. The sweltering heat is unrelenting, leaving you in pools of sweat throughout the day. You believe that the only way to survive through these warm days is by cranking up the power on your air conditioner.
While the cool gusts of the AC make life in Florida more bearable, there is something you might be forgetting. Air conditioners are heavy-duty appliances and they consume a lot of electricity. Leaving the AC running all day will definitely give you a bill that might induce a heart attack. Instead of relying on your air conditioner this summer, try these simple tricks on keeping your home cool.
- Ditch the air conditioner and turn on your ceiling fan instead. While these appliances are considered a little old-fashioned, almost all houses in Florida have them for a good reason. When a ceiling fan runs anti-clockwise, it draws cool air upwards, reducing the temperature in the entire room. If you do not have a ceiling fan, you could invest in a portable fan.
- Unplug devices when they are not in use. When laptop chargers, televisions, and other devices are plugged in, they generate a lot of heat. Always unplug devices instead of leaving them on standby.
- Incandescent or tungsten bulbs generate a lot of heat and produce harsh light. Switching to energy-efficient CFL or LED bulbs inside your home can help bring the heat down. Use natural light during the day whenever possible.
- Make the best use of blinds and curtains during the summer to keep sunlight away from the inside of your home. Sunlight can quickly heat up rooms, making it warm and uncomfortable. Close the blinds, curtains, and windows during the day to keep your room cool. You can open them when the sun sets and allow the night air to circulate through the house.
- Fix vents over the bathrooms, laundry room, and kitchen. These vents release hot air outside instead of trapping them inside your home.
- Plants and trees are also a great way to beat the heat. Trees provide shade and help regulate the sunlight entering your home, in turn reducing the temperature inside. Shrubs near windows and patios can also help bring down the heat around the house.
- Improve the insulation in the attic to keep warm air outside during the summer. This insulation will also keep your home warm during winters. Increasing insulation will help bring down your utility bills throughout the year.
- Seal any cracks or leaks around windows and doors in your home and attic to prevent hot air from entering inside and cool air from escaping.
These tips are simple and easy to apply so you can make sure that your home is more comfortable during summers. Make the best of Mother Nature’s breezes and shades to naturally cool down your home. Call a professional to check for cracks and leaks so cool air remains inside during these hot Florida days.
Make your home a perfect Florida lifestyle home! For any custom amenity you want, contact Stanley Homes in Melbourne FL at 321-684-7761 or contact us via email. We are currently building in Viera’s Seville and Valencia at Addison Village communities. If you are looking for a move in ready home please check out our current inventory homes that are built and ready. We have the knowledge and experience building custom luxury homes in Brevard, so you can rest assured that your home will be built exactly to your specifications. With a custom home from Stanley Homes you can customize it exactly how you want so your family will love it. Stanley Homes’ designers and planners can help you build the best home for your lifestyle. With convenient locations in Brevard we can help you plan your new construction home to your exact needs. Florida Style of Living Homes from Stanley Homes in Brevard.