The weather outside has been nothing short of remarkable, and now that you have been comfortably living in your new custom built Stanley Home, you are ready to tackle that garden project you’ve been dreaming about having. But where do you start? Your custom built home in Viera required a little planning, how much maintenance does a garden require? What should you plant? Here at Stanley Homes we would like to help answer a few of these questions and get you on your way to getting dirty!
- Do your research. If you don’t like eating okra, there’s no point in planting it, right? So figure out exactly what you want. Look up the best practices for growing this particular item and what the best practices are. Ex; how much sunlight does it need, how much water it needs, how does it withstand in the natural climate, etc.
- Break Ground. Locating the perfect place to put your garden goes hand in hand with doing research. Once you have figured out exactly what you would like to plant you will also know where the best place to grow this is. Does your area have enough sun exposure? How well does the water drain over there?
- Get the must haves. In order to properly begin this garden you’re going to need some basic tools to get started. Compost, mulch, hand tools, a garden hose, and even some gloves and a hat may be the first few things to keep on hand. You can find most of these items at your local retail store like Lowe’s, Home Depot, and even Wal-Mart.
- Seeds vs. Transplants. You have your list ready to grab all the items you need to get started, and since you have researched all your vegetables and plants you know whether or not you’re grabbing a packet of seeds or a transplant to get you going! It’s amazing to start your garden by seeds first, you get to watch the whole process from start to finish, but let’s face it, there are just certain plants and vegetables that you can grow more successfully if you skip that step and go right to putting it into the ground! Ask a local garden representative what they suggest, or what is the easiest way to get going if you are still uncertain.
- Dive in. Don’t be afraid to make mistakes. You’re probably going to have a few plants or vegetables that don’t “take off” immediately. Don’t worry or let it discourage you! You can use these plants as compost for your soil, and try again people! This is meant to be a relaxing, nourishing, fun for the whole family projects so forget being a perfectionist for once.
East Coast, FL Home Builder Stanley Homes – Jason Stanley, OWNER Stanley Homes is one of the areas fastest growing new home builders. We specialize in affordable custom homes on the East Coast of Florida in areas including Melbourne, Fl., New Smyrna Beach, Fl., Suntree Fl., Viera Fl., and throughout Brevard & Volusia County, Fl. Call us 321-684-7761