Should I Build An Indoor Pool In My Home?
Splashing around in your very own swimming pool is a dream for many homeowners. Because many areas of the country are not conducive to swimming pool weather most of the year, why not consider an indoor swimming pool when building your new home?
An indoor swimming pool may seem like an extravagant addition to any home, but the countless hours of enjoyment will make it well worth the initial investment. Rather than sinking a bunch of money into country club fees and other family activities, building an indoor swimming pool as a part of your home will offer fun-filled entertainment for the entire family as well as a convenient year-round fitness option.
Once you have considered this amenity, determine the following factors. Obviously, cost is one of the main factors before any other. Be sure to get several quotes from reputable companies in your area. It is safe to research at least three companies and request quotes from them at that time. Select companies that have at least a few years of experience, proof of insurance and licenses. Then, be ready to answer questions when you meet with the companies and be prepared to share with them how you plan to use your pool. Will it be used primarily for fun and entertainment, or for exercise? Certain pool designs may be better suited for each activity. Also, be sure to ask them how much maintenance is required and how long installation will take in case you want it to be completed for a certain event like a party or house-warming.
Here are several important things to consider if you choose to incorporate an indoor swimming pool into your new home.
The most common materials used for indoor pool construction include concrete, aluminum and fiberglass.
– A strong and durable choice. Concrete is the most common indoor pool building material.
Aluminum – Not as commonly used in today’s indoor swimming pools, but still an option to consider.
– The most expensive choice of the three options mentioned here, but fiberglass typically requires fewer chemicals to maintain once the pool is completed and operational.
Other Important Construction Factors
– Causes the most wear and tear to the building that houses an indoor pool. Obviously, any metals used in the construction of the pool must be rustproof and wooden materials are not as durable because they can deteriorate quickly in such humid conditions. Consult with a HVAC specialist who is familiar with dehumidification systems prior to selecting all building materials for this indoor pool space.
– This is not only an important factor for pool building because of the expense, but if the space is not properly insulated, it poses some serious health threats for the homeowners. Dangerous and even deadly types of mold can build up in the insulation creating a dangerous environment that supports mold that can damage the lungs and respiratory system.
– Be sure your builder includes a quality vapor barrier that will keep condensation from building up in the walls. Vapor barriers are made of plastic or film and allow air passage through them, but not moisture.
– Be sure to maintain proper climate control in the indoor swimming pool space. Keeping a precise temperature will produce less humidity. This precise temperature can be achieved by keeping this indoor space exactly two degrees cooler than the air temperature.
Once your beautiful indoor pool is complete, the work is not over. Remember that regular maintenance will keep your indoor swimming pool in top form. If you are not up to the challenge of regular cleaning and maintenance, then consider a pool maintenance company to keep your indoor pool looking its best at all times.
And, when not in use, consider covering the pool to decrease moisture as well as for safety reasons especially if you have small children. Many people would not think it is necessary to cover an indoor pool, but it is a common practice with indoor swimming pools too.
Besides being a beautiful feature to add to your home, an indoor swimming pool provides many benefits for the whole family. Providing an ideal gathering place for fun and entertainment, an indoor swimming pool is just the place for parties and other celebrations all throughout the year. It is also a great source of low-impact exercise for all ages and can help many health aliments especially bone and joint pain.
Whether you desire an indoor pool for relaxation, fun or health reasons, an indoor swimming pool will add something special to your home that your family will be able to enjoy for years to come.