Get Your Dream Home with the Right Choices: The Selection Process, Stanley Homes
Making selections is a critical part of the construction process for custom homes. With Stanley Homes you get to make your own choices on what you want. But the selection process can be stressful because of the overwhelming number of choices, budgetary constraints, and deadlines.
- Exterior finishes: brick, stone, siding, roofing, doors, windows, exterior trim, decking, colors, gutters, concrete surfaces, landscaping
- Floor coverings
- Interior colors and stains
- Kitchen appliances and bathroom fixtures, cabinetry, countertops
- Heating and air conditioning alternatives (HVAC)
- Light and plumbing fixtures
- Home electronics, such as entertainment, security, audio/visual
- Interior doors
- Hardware (doorknobs, cabinet pulls, electrical plates)
- Fireplace unit and fireplace surroundings
- Start with a vision. Go online, look in magazines, drive through neighborhoods, walk into any of our open houses and take pictures to help you develop a vision of what you want. Pay attention to detail—colors, styles, appliance brands, door/cabinet hardware, etc. Compile all the websites, magazine pictures, and photos to share with us. Bring them to the showrooms when you are ready to make your selections. Most importantly have fun!
- Sketch in the furniture arrangement on a copy of your floor plan. Visualizing how the room will look is a big help in making the best selections.
- If you don’t feel up to the task, ask our interior designer (Dee Patnoe) to make your selections for you. An interior designer’s expertise will also help you properly match colors and styles across rooms and with other choices. Stanley Homes offers a 4 hour complimentary consultation with our interior decorator to help you feel more comfortable with these decisions.
- Stanley Homes will send a representative with you to meet in our design center. Do your research before you arrive, and know what options are available at a particular cost point. This is when your pictures come in handy. Bring them to the appointment. Know what you want when you arrive, and prepare a list of questions before the appointment.
- Showrooms and distributors use their own model numbers, so when you are researching appliances online, document the appliance specifications and bring a picture for comparison at the showroom.
- Know and understand adjacent or coordinating colors and styles so you won’t make selections that clash with the surroundings. Keep samples or colors of all the choices you make. Bring them with you when you make subsequent selections.
- Be sure that all selections are documented correctly. Do not rely on numbers alone (remember that showrooms and distributors use their own model numbers). Ask the coordinator for a written description of your selection including color, manufacturer, and style or pattern. Request samples when appropriate. Keep a copy of all selections for your records—and you might even consider taking a picture of your selections for your records.
- If you get stuck and can’t make a decision, ask us or Dee for help. As an experienced, qualified builder we see a lot of homes and designs and oversees a lot of selections. You may be surprised at the perspective on styles and colors that we bring to the table.
- If you encounter budgetary constraints or have problems making a decision,prioritize your selections so you focus on items that are not easily changed. For instance, you can always repaint a wall or replace cabinet hardware, but swapping countertops is a big undertaking.
East Coast, FL Home Builder Stanley Homes – Jason Stanley, OWNER Stanley Homes is one of the areas fastest growing new home builders. We specialize in affordable custom homes on the East Coast of Florida in areas including Melbourne, Fl., New Smyrna Beach, Fl., Suntree, Fl., Viera, Fl., Rockledge, Fl., Malabar, Fl., Titusville, Fl., and throughout Brevard & Volusia County, Fl. Call us 321-684-7761